Be Extraordinary

On November 3rd, I was one of four students chosen to style a six-look collection for a fashion show at Faze Magazine's Be Extraordinary event. We were in charge of pulling the clothes, shoes and accessories to put together our collections based on 6 specific looks we were given: the Fashionista, the Concert goer, the Athlete, the Gala gal, the Life of the party, and the Romantic. Considering I had never done anything like this before, I'm happy with how everything turned out! I had no idea what "pulling clothing from the rack" entailed, and I'm still kind of unsure haha but I guess those are things I'll learn when I begin interning/working in the industry. Since I was the last to receive confirmation that I would be participating, I was allowed to recruit some of my friends as models, so I had two of my former roommates with me, which made it all that much more fun! 

I aimed for a RTW collection, as opposed to a high-fashion look, and named my collection Knockout, to represent my theme of Snow White meets luxe biker chick. I love pretty, girly details like A-line skirts, flowing tops, and sparkles, but I also love the toughness of leather and dark colors against light skin. In terms of makeup, I wanted everything to be fresh-faced and simple, with just a swipe of bright red lipstick on the top lip and deep burgundy on the bottom lip. It's not really visible in the pictures, which is unfortunate, because it looked really beautiful up close! I might try to recreate the look sometime for the sake of taking some close up shots. 

I had never really considered a career in styling, but it was a lot of fun and I have since volunteered to help style/dress more fashion shows like Canada's Bridal Show and the Total Wedding Show, which are both in January. Being so new to the fashion industry, I'm trying to volunteer for as many events as I can, in order to figure out where exactly I want to build my own career. 

the Fashionista sweater & leggings: h&m, tank: zara, shoes: aldo
 
the Concert goer sleeveless blazer & pants: zara, tank: gap
 
the Athlete jumpsuit: Sirens, shoes: borrowed from a friend, bag: vintage
the Gala gal dress: borrowed from a friend, shoes: the Bay 
the Life of the Party top: Costa Blanca, skirt: forever21, shoes: aldo
the Romantic top: mendocino, shorts: Rachel Roy (from the Bay), shoes: aldo
my two roomies who were fantastic models for me! 
 


Me and the other three stylists, backstage. (my crop top is Zara, and the pants are mom's from way back when)

No comments:

Post a Comment