freedom!

So I finally quit my job last week and BOY am I relieved. A lot of people have told me I sound spoiled and entitled when I say I would never do a job that makes me unhappy. They say, "You won't just be handed the job you want" and "When you have to pay all your own bills, you can't be picky." 
      I wholeheartedly agree that sometimes we have to do jobs we don't enjoy in order to support ourselves and/or our families. I do NOT, however, agree that anyone should stay in a place that makes them miserable. My motto is to create my own happiness rather than search or wait for it.  
      I am a firm believer that a positive environment is the most important aspect of a job. Even if it's cleaning bathrooms at a movie theatre (which I have done- and it was probably my favorite job to date because of the people I worked with), a positive work environment makes work a lot more enjoyable. When we're practically forced to work 40+ hour weeks, why not at least enjoy it? :P 

So anyways, I was about a week shy of having worked at my job for 3 months and I couldn't bear to do it anymore. My boss was everything a boss should not be: patronizing toward me, unprofessional- he swore incessantly both in conversation with me and with his customers and clients, and worst of all in my opinion, he was very negative - I could not tell you one positive thing he said in my three months there. 
      I personally don't think swearing or patronizing, among other things, are professional ways to act, however it's every business owner's prerogative to run their business their way- after all, people start businesses because they don't want to follow someone else's rules… It got to the point where I was always stressed out and miserable and at times  fel my blood pressure going up when he was yelling/swearing at people on the phone, and my parents finally urged me to quit (especially with their only being a couple weeks left before school starts). 

I can honestly say that despite missing a steady income, I am so relieved to have quit and I am turning all my focus towards school and building my career. I can't wait. :D 

(this is the most intense outfit post… hat: h&m, dress: f21, shoes: Franco Sarto, watch: Tissot)

No comments:

Post a Comment